We Are Lewisham and we value the food that we eat.
Food is an essential part of survival but it can represent so much more. The things we eat feature in key moments in life from the first food we eat as babies to special cakes for milestone moments and sharing food as part of cultural traditions. Food can also be a source of worry if you do not have enough. Memories are linked to food and each of these experiences feeds our soul as well as our appetites.
In June we invite you to get involved with our Creative Challenge by sharing your food memories with us on social media tagging @WeAreLewisham and #CreativeChallenge:
- Is there a food that immediately transports you somewhere else when you smell or taste it? (Perhaps an early childhood memory, school dinners, your grandmother’s signature dish, a favourite holiday or the first time you cooked for yourself.)
- Does food form part of your family’s traditions?
- Would you be willing to share a favourite family recipe with the Lewisham community (or are they closely guarded secrets!)?
- Where is your favourite place to eat in the borough?
This month we are also challenging you to think about the food you eat in new ways:
- How can you reduce your food waste?
- Could you introduce more meat-free/vegan dishes to your diet?
- Do you know where your food comes from?
- Are you able to grow any of your food either at home or at a local community garden?
Touring Lewisham through food
Throughout June food blogger Knives to Meet You will be touring Lewisham to review some of the hottest food spots the borough has to offer. But these are just some of the best places to eat; we’d love you to let us know where your favourite place to eat in the borough is.
Get involved and get eating
11 June from 12noon
Various locations in Deptford
Deptford Neighborhood Get Together and meal
11 June from 1pm
Deptford Adventure Playground
A Day of Food Justice
19 June 12noon-7pm
ITAL Community Garden, Firhill Road, Bellingham
Refugee Week with the Refugee Cafe
25 June 1-5pm
Horniman Museum and Gardens
Markets in Lewisham
There are five farmers markets in Lewisham, meaning producers must be local and must sell their own produce. Find your nearest here.
Lewisham Council manages three street markets, as well as street food there are food vendors offering great deals on items that you can get cooking from spices to fresh fruit and veg. Find your nearest street market on the Council website.
Learn about food
Take part in an education workshop to learn about food and cooking.
Cook refreshing summer recipes with your toddlers (age 2-5). Enrol online.
Kids’ lunchbox recipes and tips for parents. Enrol online. Enrol online.
See a full list of adult education food courses on the Council website or find out about a course near you by calling 020 8314 3300.
Did you know that Lewisham has its very own cookbook? The ‘Lewisham Cookbook’ was published by House of Lewisham with illustrations by local artist Nancy Ellis, and celebrates the people, food and cultures that make our borough one of the most diverse and exciting in London. You can buy a copy online or in the House of Lewisham shop at 17/18 Catford Broadway every Saturday and Sunday 10am-5pm. You can also borrow a copy from any of Lewisham’s libraries.
As part of our Borough of Culture celebrations 19 copies (1 per ward) of the Lewisham Cookbook have been hidden around the borough. Keep a look out and you might find a free copy to take home!