We Are Lewisham's access, inclusion and sustainability commitments
Being awarded The Mayor's London Borough of Culture is an opportunity for Lewisham to work towards the commitments that we hold closely to the future of the borough. Read on to find out how we plan to keep these commitments central to our programme throughout 2022.
We Are Lewisham is an aspiration towards a compassionate, inclusive and sustainable society.
We are committed to delivering a programme that can be enjoyed by everyone, whilst recognising that there are significant barriers for groups in our society to be able to enjoy and participate in cultural activity.
We Are Lewisham is committed to contributing to building a sustainable environment that encourages participation in climate sustainability practices.
That’s why We Are Lewisham’s Access, Inclusion and Sustainability principles will draw on:
- The Seven Inclusive Principles for disabled people in arts & culture, an initiative that offers practical guidance to arts and cultural organisations to support disabled artists, audiences, visitors, participants and employees, developed by campaigning cultural organisations We Shall Not Be Removed, Ramps on the Moon, Attitude is Everything, Paraorchestra and What Next?,
- The Anti-Racism Touring Rider, a guidelines document to make touring a safer, more equitable environment, developed by organisations and freelancers across the country, and
- The Theatre Green Book, an initiative by the whole of theatre to work more sustainably, that sets out a path to a sustainable future, developed by theatre-makers and sustainability experts.
We Are Lewisham will celebrate the power of culture and its diverse communities, aiming to bring about positive change.
The programme for London Borough of Culture 2022, We Are Lewisham, is presented by Lewisham Council in partnership with the Albany.
London Borough of Culture is a Mayor of London initiative
Our Green Code
1. When attending activities we will encourage people to use public transport and other active travel options where safe and feasible.
2. We will prioritise sustainable purchasing options and avoid buying single-use plastics.
3. All catering/hospitality will be supplied using compostable packaging and utensils. Where reusable items are possible, this will be prioritised.
4. Where there is catering, we will provide vegetarian and vegan options.
5. We will use energy efficient equipment.
6. We will use permanent power supplies where possible and prioritise sustainable sources of temporary energy supply when needed.
7. We will avoid use of chemical toilets for events and activities.
8. We will ensure that there are recycling and food composting options at all events and activities, with suitable and clearly labelled bins.
9. We will provide water refill stations and avoid water coolers.
10. We will seek to challenge ourselves and others around the climate emergency and specifically promote the council’s Climate Emergency Strategic Action Plan.